By the end of this chapter you should be able to:
- Classify commonly used medications for psychological well-being.
- Explain the process and stages of the drug approval process.
- Recognize the possible side effects of psychoactive medications.
- Distinguish over-the-counter medications from prescriptions.
- List over-the-counter medications which tend to be abused.
- Assess the benefits and side effects of OTC painkillers.
- Define types of dietary supplements.
- Appraise supplements effectiveness, safety concerns and interactions with medications.
- Select vitamins, minerals, herbs, and plants useful for personal health and well-being.