1.1 Types of Drugs
The first reading for this chapter which is available in Canvas reviews four types of drugs: Endogenous, natural (both Crude Forms and Refined forms), semisynthetic, and synthetic. The websites below provide additional information on all kinds of medications and commonly misused drugs.
1. A great overview of drugs and medications is provided by drugabuse.com
2. A comprehensive list of Medical Information on prescription drugs, vitamins and over-the-counter medicines from WebMd.com
3. Commonly Abused Drug Charts provided by the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
To make the most of these resources you should be able to do the following after carefully reading the information they provide:
- Describe each type of drug in your own words.
- Explain the benefits and dangers associated with each type of drugs.
- List several examples of each type of drug.