Chapter 7: Healthy Eating
Belloc and Breslow (1972) listed 7 habits associated with general health. These are referred to as the “Alameda 7.”
(1) having never smoked
(2) drinking less than 5 standard drinks at one sitting
(4) sleeping 7-8 hours a night
(5) maintaining a desirable weight for height
(6) eating breakfast regularly and not skipping meals
(7) having a good diet, avoiding snacks
• The level of exercise varies with age. For an elderly individual, light exercise (walking, gardening, etc.) at least once a week may be sufficient.
• Desirable weight for height could be expressed in the body mass index (BMI). The Metropolitan Life Tables also can be used.
• This leaves out quite a few unhealthy habits (unprotected sex with multiple partners, intravenous drug abuse, driving without a seat belt, etc.).
• Control of concurrent disease (diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, etc.) is not listed.
• While a little alcohol intake is considered beneficial, this would allow 4 drinks at a sitting (with several sittings per day).