Appendix B-11: Model Use: Analyze Sustainability Performance
Sustainability (LEED) Evaluation
A process in which a BIM project is evaluated based on LEED or other sustainable criteria. This process should occur during all stages of a facilities life including planning, design, construction, and operation. Applying sustainable features to a project in the planning and early design phases is more effective (ability to impact design) and efficient (cost and schedule of decisions). This comprehensive process requires more disciplines to interact earlier by providing valuable insights. This integration may require contractual integration in the planning phase. In addition to achieving sustainable goals, having LEED approval process adds certain calculations, documentation, and verifications. Energy simulations, calculations, and documentation can be performed within an integrative environment when responsibilities are well defined and clearly shared.
- Facilitates interaction, collaboration, and coordination of team members early in the project process are considered to be favorable to sustainable projects.
- Enables early and reliable evaluation of design alternatives.
- Availability of critical information early helps problem resolution efficiently in terms of cost premium and schedule conflicts.
- Shortens the actual design process by the help of early facilitated design decisions. A shorter design process is cost effective and provides more time for other projects.
- Leads to delivery better project quality.
- Reduces documentation load after design and accelerates certification because concurrently prepared calculations can be used for verification.
- Reduces operational costs of the facility due to the energy performance of the project. It optimized building performance via improved energy management.
- Increases the emphasis on environmentally friendly and sustainable design.
- Assist project team with potential future revisions throughout the life cycle.
- Design authoring software
- Sustainabiity evaluation criteria tracking software
Team Competencies Required:
- Ability to create and review 3D Model
- Knowledge of up-to-date sustainability evaluation criteria
- Ability to organize and manage the database
- Krygiel, E., and Brad, N., 2008, “Green BIM: Successful Sustainable Design with Building Information Modeling,” San Francisco.
- McGraw Hill Construction, 2010, “Green BIM-How Building Information Modeling Is Contributing to Green Design and Construction,” Smart Market Report, McGraw Hill Construction.
- Balfour Beatty Construction, 2010, “Sustainability and Engineering Guide Version 2.0,” Balfour Beatty Construction.