Chapter 3: Basic Emotion Theory and Social Constructivist Theory
- What is the categorical approach? [Note: categorical approach is the same concept as discrete emotions and distinct emotions.]
- From which classical theory was the categorical approach derived?
- What is the difference between a basic and distinct emotion?
- What support exists for basic emotions?
- What are some limitations of the basic emotion perspective?
- What are the differences in the basic emotion and social constructivist perspectives?
- What cross-cultural and gender/sex differences in emotion exist?
- Do the study findings on the four emotion components support basic emotion theory or social constructivist theory? Why?