Chapter 8: Fear, Anxiety, and Stress
- What are the components changes of fear?
- What evidence supports fear as a basic emotion?
- What evidence supports fear as a socially constructed emotion?
- What does current work on fear suggest is the adaptive purpose of fear?
- What does the S.M. case tell us the amygdala’s role in fear and other emotions?
- Does research on fear and the amygdala support the locationist or psychological constructionist theory?
- Does anxiety meet the requirements for an emotion? Why or why not?
- What is the relationship between anxiety and attentional biases?
- How are fear and anxiety similar? different?
- How does the research on anxiety help us to better understand psychological disorders?
- Is stress an emotion? Why or why not?
- What is the difference between the General Adaptation Syndrome and Lazarus’ View of Stress?
- Explain the importance of cognitive appraisals in the stress process.